Our focus on database systems is that they work reliably day-after-day, year-after-year. Savant’s experience of relational database development dates back to the 1980s.
We understand that databases do not exist alone – but are part of a system – and there is often a need to integrate data from a number of systems, held in a variety of formats. You may already have systems or suppliers or customers with systems with a number of formats such as spreadsheets, CSV files, fixed length formats, HL7 feeds, XML structures and a variety of access methodologies, including ODBC and web services.
Oracle-based products have been our prime implementation environment over the last twenty years. Savant has experience with all of Oracle’s major development products and databases.
Mimer SQL is a fast, fully-fledged, relational DBMS with complete support for SQL standards and available on all major server platforms including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, UNIX and OpenVMS.
For over 30 years, Savant have developed, used and supported systems which depend upon Mimer SQL Enterprise databases running against large scale HP Integrity based systems and against smaller Windows based solutions.
Mimer SQL’s efficient and self-tuning DBMS kernel provides you with a zero-maintenance run-time environment – all part of Mimer SQL’s unique ‘Install & Forget’ concept.
Safe And Protected Data
SQL Server Database Services
For over ten years Savant has used SQL Server® to store the information created using our Mataco business continuity system. Our SQL Server team has hands-on, practical installation and support experience with:
- SQL Server – from the 2008 edition through to current ‘flavours’
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Developing Windows and web applications on top of SQL Server using .NET
SQL Server Practical Experience
Savant uses its wealth of experience to:
- Manage the backend SQL server database for third party products, including backup and recovery strategies
- Create and manage hosted instances and databases for customers of Savant’s Mataco system
- Set up database replication for SQL Server – for customers wishing to maintain up-time, if their primary system is unavailable
What are Databases and Why are Database Services Important?
Databases are an absolutely vital resource for any IT infrastructure. Whether you have large data centres or use smaller, on premise or cloud-based infrastructure, almost every action you take will be recorded or supported by databases. By appropriately managing all of this data, you can make better business decisions, securely store and find data when you need it, run all of your regular business functions and systems and provide your organisation with a whole host of safety and security backups to ensure business continuity.
Data access, data security and database management are key requirements for most businesses, which are all practices that the team at Savant can help your organisation with. Without databases, there are a huge number of regular business functions that simply cannot be carried out, things that organisations often take for granted.
Even as technology has evolved to become more advanced and more diverse, there are still so many basic functions that rely on databases, and this is something that cannot be changed. High-quality databases guarantee continuous, reliable access to key data and ensure the safety, efficiency and security of your entire computing infrastructure.
The Importance of Databases to Different Sectors
In Today’s world, databases are used by almost every business in the world. There is very little in the digital landscape of today that can be accomplished without a database of some kind, from basic spreadsheets to apps on your phone, cloud-based storage, video calling, and third-party software, to name just a few! However, there are some sectors in particular that are using data and databases in new, inventive ways to improve efficiency, safety, usability and to offer new products, services, and features to their users.
- Healthcare: In public and private sector health applications, database services are used not just to store, analyse and understand data better, but also to run the vast majority of practical systems. Data analysis, communication between health trusts, holding individual and public health records and tracking of MPHOs (medical products of human origin) are just some of the key applications of databases in modern health care settings.
- Banking and Finance: Banking and finance operations are almost entirely carried out digitally, and there are a huge number of stakeholders invested in every single movement or transaction in this industry, so having databases that support the needs of traders, banks and fintech organisations is of the highest priority. Databases can also be used to identify and prevent illegal trading and fraudulent activity.
- Communications and Media: The media and communications sector rely heavily on data to tailor their offerings to user preferences, and to provide the most effective, most up-to-date and most tailored experience to their users, which is something the public is growing to demand and expect more and more as technology advances.
- Manufacturing: Manufacturing companies use a range of analytical tools which run on databases, to ensure that are allocating the resources of production in the most effective and efficient way.
- Transportation: Data and database management can help to improve the efficiency of the transportation sector, reduce the number of incidents or losses and can help to cut costs for these organisations.
How Database Services Can Help Your Organisation
Support services for databases can reduce the workload on your internal teams, while also ensuring experts in this field are responsible for maintaining, administering, and maintaining the database infrastructure. In addition to database support, professionals can also help implement and oversee policies and procedures for ensuring the integrity and availability of databases and their associated software.
Daily tasks of a database support team can range massively, depending on the tools used by your organisation and the needs of your users. However, common day-to-day database management and support services can include:
- The management of databases in multiple phases of product development, from development to mission-critical production environments, using a range of popular database technologies including Mimer SQL, SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL to name but a few.
- Configuring and maintaining databases and monitoring system health and performance to ensure optimum performance, availability, and security.
- Regular system monitoring to ensure uptime and the reliability of organisational databases.
- Design of scripts for task automation and development of scripts for task automation.
- Managing clustering, mirroring, backups, and failover of the databases, along with advising on, creating, and carrying out database restoration and disaster recovery plans.
A thorough understanding of business information technology operations, applications, management software, and queries relating to users is required for tasks and services such as these, along with a deep understanding of processes, programming language, and application architecture. administration tools, servers and virtualisation, and a range of other expert knowledge and skills. At Savant, our technical team have an exceptionally wide range of specialities and decades of combined experience, allowing us to offer exceptional service and effectively contribute to your database infrastructure and strategies.
Why Work With Savant for Your Database Services?
Database management and administration experts can be difficult to find and retain in the UK, as the demand outstrips the supply in many areas, which is where outsourced database support experts like Savant can offer massive value to your organisation, regardless of the industry or sectors you work in. At Savant, we have been working with databases for almost 50 years and have grown and developed in line with the technologies we work with, and as new technologies evolve. This demonstrates not just our expertise, but also our commitment to improving database management within the organisations we work with.
Feel free to contact us at 01524 784400, or contact our technical team by using the form on our website, if you would like to learn more about our Database Services and how we can help your organisation.
Want To Know More?
Contact us today to learn more about our products and services and see how we can help you.